I thought for my week’s post I’d share a bit of my process when I work. I always write the story first, before I begin drawing. The artwork below is for a short story I wrote and am adapting called “Raisins”.
Here is the original opening scene in word form:
“Mary-Anne Picford wasn’t particularly a big fan of raisins.
She was thinking on this fact as she stared at a bowl of trail mix in front of her and picked at the bits that intrigued her. She examined the wrinkles of one of her victims briefly before flicking it into the pile she had forming separate from the worthier tidbits. Perhaps it was because of the wrinkles. You couldn’t just kill the grape, you had to let it become hideously old and sapped of life before you ate it. It was cruel.
And then there was the problem of cookies.
One could ruin a perfectly good bite when, expecting chocolate chips, you discovered instead its chewy antonym the raisin. Not that an oatmeal cookies wasn’t terrible with raisins, you just had to not expect chocolate and Mary-Anne always expected chocolate.
She was neck-deep in these thoughts when she was jolted out by a tap on the shoulder, reminding her she was not alone but rather at a party.
“Mary, dear, not to distract you from your sorting, but wouldn’t you much rather be socializing?”
Mary-Anne turned to greet the questioner, a woman often mistaken as Mary’s sister but who in actuality was a long term acquaintance. She probably counted Mary-Anne as a friend but anyone who was Mary-Anne’s friend (and there were very few of these) would not have dragged her to a party.
Mary-Anne raised an eyebrow in response.
“Oh come on out of your stupor. These people aren’t half as bad as that look of yours suggests. Come on, there’s someone I’d like you to meet.’”
A lot of the narrative becomes superfluous in comic form. I rewrote the script to be one narrative box in the first panel, and short three line conversation at the last panel.
Below is my work in progress art for the opening scene. I started with pencil, added ink, erased the pencil, and have started the process of coloring it using Procreate. My biggest struggle so far has been keeping track of all the limbs at the party. I’m not the best at figure drawing so I adapted my style to be more sketchy and fluid to fit the feel of a busy party.